Thursday, June 6, 2013

People told me I can’t do it : Madhuri Dixit Nene

Speaking at an event to celebrate women’s success, Madhuri Dixit Nene got on the stage along with Juhi Chawla! It rekindled memories of the 90s when the two actresses were ruling the roost. Madhuri spoke about her struggle in Bollywood and about how she fought people’s perception that Bollywood isn’t a good place and that, she couldn’t make it.
“Being a woman, you always go through something or the other. When I made my debut in Bollywood, many people told me I can’t do, it’s not a good place, I can’t make my position in this industry. But that time I had faith in myself and worked and proved everyone what can I do,” Madhuri said at the event. “When you push yourself you rise up to the challenge and you realise your strength. When adversity comes that’s when one stands for themselves,” she added.
Madhuri Dixit Nene had made her Bollywood debut with Abodh in 1984. The film did not enjoy commercial success. She delivered flops consecutively after that and did not taste success at the box-office until 1988, when, she finally experienced stardom with Tezaab. It was that year’s highest grossing movie. She had carved a niche for herself by then and, was delivering hits after hits. However, she decided to settle down when she was still at the peak of her career. She married an NRI surgeon, Shriram Nene and migrated to the United States of America!
Post marriage, she worked in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Devdas in the year 2002. She had been away from films until 2007, when she made her comeback with Aditya Chopra’s home production Aaja Nachle but, the film wasn’t much successful. Nevertheless, she kept herself busy with television and she was one of the judges on a reality television show called Jhalak Dikhla Jaa.
Currently, Madhuri is working on Gulab Gang which is Soumik Sen’s directorial debut. The movie will also feature Juhi Chawla, Mahie Gill, Shilpa Shukla and others. This film is sure to bring back memories of the 90s!

0 comments:

Post a Comment